People need to know that this plant is a small herbaceous shrub that has a maximum height of 80 cm. It is also evergreen in the chrysanthemum family, which normally grows in South America. Its function of being 200 times sweeter than sugar and not causing an increase in insulin is what makes it so popular.
In this article I will tell you why this plant is so special:
- It can be used as a sweetener because it is 100% natural
- It benefits from a sweet, pure and intense aroma.
- It has absolutely no calories at all.
- It is not cariogenic and tooth friendly.
- Versatile in partial and total replacement of sugar.
- Flavor enhancer with other sweetening ingredients.
- It can be cooked and baked, as well as used in other applications that require high temperature processes.
- Extremely stable at low pH in processed beverages and finished products.
- Excellent solubility in aqueous systems.
In addition to those features, in this article I will tell you some of its properties. These are:
- First of all, the leaves of this plant help regulate blood sugar, lower blood pressure due to the high content of minerals such as potassium and magnesium, reduce blood pressure, hypotension and cardiotonics by regulating the heartbeat due to its vasodilating power.
- Specialists in the field recommend this plant to people if they suffer from hypertension, because its role is to reduce blood pressure, it is hypotensive and cardiotonic by regulating the heartbeat due to its vasodilating power. It contains many minerals (potassium and magnesium).
- Another property of stevia is that it is a vasodilator, which means that it increases the diameter of blood vessels, therefore improves circulation and is very useful for people suffering from vascular diseases.
- Because it is a sweetener, it has been used for diabetics and it has been shown that there is no “increase in glucose or blood sugar”, it is more that it provides a hypoglycemic action to people with type 2 diabetes, not dependent on insulin.
- If you are one of the people who are overweight, I recommend using stevia as a sweetener, because there are no calories in the composition.
- In addition to these benefits, it is also known as an antiseptic for wounds and burns.
- Stevia has antibiotic properties, the leaves of this plant provide antibacterial protection against bacteria of the oral mucosa and fungi, such as vaginal candidiasis. In addition, it is used in toothpastes and gums, because its use helps prevent cavities.
- And last but not least, it helps to detoxify tobacco and alcohol, because stevia tea reduces the desire for these two toxins.